Infertility is a condition described as the failure to conceive after regular unprotected intercourse during at least one year for couples below 35 years, and during 6 months for couples above 35 years1. Infertility is largely unexplained in about 30% of couples, but in the remaining 70% infertility may be caused by ovulatory dysfunction, deficit in sperm count and volume, tubal damage and endometriosis. The incidence of infertility is on the rise, mostly among women in the oldest reproductive age group (35 to 44 years of age), resulting from the trend of women to delay childbearing. 10% of couples experience some form of infertility problems2. These figures translate into 10 million infertile couples in the EU, 6 million in the USA and 80 million worldwide.
PGL1001 (Somatostatin Antagonist, SST-ATG)
PGL1001 is a somatostatin antagonist (SST-ATG) with the potential to accelerate the recruitment of resting follicles from the ovarian follicular reserve3. In this way, more follicles could be made responsive to gonadotrophin stimulation and could eventually produce an oocyte (egg). PGL1001 has the potential to become the first treatment for increasing the number of gonadotrophin-sensitive follicles in patients with a diminished or aging ovarian reserve, who undergo Assisted Reproductive Techniques (“ART”).
Development stage: Pre-Clinical Development
1 WHO Technical Report Series 820, 1992
2 WHO Technical Report Series 820, 1992